Saturday, December 2, 2023

Review: The Dead by Charlie Higson

 


I finally read the sequel to a book I read back in 2021 and really enjoyed. The first book in this series is called The Enemy which is the series name as well. It is a young adult zombie horror that takes place in England. 

When I started this book, I didn't remember the character names from the first book and I thought that would impact my reading, but this book is like a prequel to the first because it takes place a year before the events of the first book and we follow a different group of characters.

At first we are following a group of school boys who are taking refuge in their school and staying away from their diseased teachers. The group decides to split up with some wanting to go to the country side and the rest wanting to go to London. The group who is heading to the countryside ultimately get attacked by a couple kids older than them who have the sickness. The sickness affects anyone 16 and older.

The group is saved by a man.. a grown up who is driving a bus. His name is Greg and he is a butcher. The kids are wondering why he is not sick. They meet up with the group of boys who were heading to London and they make it but then realize that South London is on fire. 

They then take safety in a museum and they have to beg another group who is in the musuem to let them stay. They get to but they have to find their own food. So Ed, Jack, Bam and some others go scanvenging and find a truck filled with food and other things. Jack is still adament about getting back to his home and he ditches the group and Ed and Bam follow which is a bad idea because they get attacked and two of the three gets seriously wounded.

There is so much more that happens and it just keeps you hooked and in suspense. I really liked this one because there was more traveling and more encounters. Of course there was stupid moments and some characters that I just could not stand. But at the end, there was a little scene where this book gets connected with the first.

I do have to pick up the third book soon because I don't want to go another two years between books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...