Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Review: Bookshops and Bonedust by Travis Baldree

 


My first read of 2024 and it was 4 stars. Going into this, I knew it was a prequel and I knew Viv's end game. That didn't take away my enjoyment and it didn't sway my rating like everyone else's reviews. In Legends and Lattes we got introduced to Viv the Orc, who has decided to leave the mercenary life behind and settle down with COFFEE!!!!

This is the prequel to that where Viv is just starting out being a mercenary and being in a group called Rackams Ravens. They are going after a necromancer and Viv gets seriously injured. They end up dumping her in a little sea side town called Murk to heal and get better to eventually join back up. 

While she is recovering, she becomes friends with the local bookstore owner. She is a rattkin named Fern and she has a gryphet which is a pug like owl and his name is the best thing ever. Even better is when I read the name, I had just finished my New Years dinner of slow cooked roast. Needless to say that Potroast is now a new favorite pet name.

Viv also becomes friendly with the local baker, a dwarf named Maylee. Sadly I was spoiled for the connection between Viv and Maylee. Viv is not a favorite for the major Gatewarden and wants Viv to recover quickly and get the hell out of her town.

Viv startes reading books on Fern's recommendation and then starts helping out at the bookstore that is slowly but surely going under. Financially and literally. There is a threat to the town in the form of a gray man who is eventually dealt with but that just leads to a bigger host of problems and a new character named Satchel.

I ended up giving this 4 stars because I wanted more action with the confrontation of Varine the necromancer. I feel that it was just half assed and rushed and not meant to be a main plot point. The epilogue gives me a little hope that there may finally be a sequel to Legends and Lattes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...