Thanks Netgalley.
I got this copy a couple years ago when it was available as a read now. It has been on many a TBR and this year I am going to be buckling down and reading my Netgalley shelf because I am embarrased by my Netgalley ratio. It is so freaking low, I am confused as to how I can still get books even from the read now section.
This follows a group of girls who are close friends and they attened an all girl boarding school called Weston. Our main character Doe is a senior and instead of focusing on her life and where she is going to go to college, she is consumed by the decades old rival with the all boys boarding school across the road called Winfield. She is known as the master prankster and the first prank she pulls involves tampons... but that is not the plot.
The whole plot is that during the introductory assembly for the beginning of the school year, the headmistress announces that Weston is going to be merging with Winfield to become a co educational boarding school.
Doe is against it and she feels that she has to make it her mission to make the merger fail. She gets into a fake relationship with a Winfield boy named Wells to make his cousin Three, who is Doe's arch enemy jealous and gets his dad to say no to the merger.
There is one plot line that has nothing to do with the merger but it makes Winfield boys and Weston girls come together. There is a male teacher at Weston who is a sexual predator and one thing all the girls in this school agree on is to never ever be alone with him. Why is there a male teacher at a all girl boarding school to begin with????
The lead up to this particular conclusion happens in the last third of the book while we were focused on Doe and her fake relationship and pranks and her family drama. Also the book has an abrput ending and before finishing the book, I was on the authors Goodreads page and someone asked the question was there going to be anything else on Doe and Wells' relationship. The author answered back that there story was complete.
I get to the end of the book expecting something juicy and cutesy and it ends with Doe thinking about Weston and how it will now be a safe place for girls.
I ended up giving this a three star because while reading it, I knew about the male teacher and the sexual assault thanks to Goodreads reviews, but I did like Doe's family dynamic around Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment