Friday, September 20, 2024

Review: Barbaric volume 1-3 by Michael Moreci

Last weekend, I had a chill day where I did nothing but read. I got through three graphic novels. Two of them being Barbaric Volume 1 and 2. I had no idea how much I would like this because I honestly didn't know that much. Looking at the cover, I immediately zeroed in on the cool looking axe not knowing it was about to become my favorite character.


 We follow a guy named Owen. He is a barbarian who has been cursed to do good. We meet him killing bad people and serving justice. The axe is a moral supporter who can tell who is genuinely bad and good. The axe also gets drunk on all the blood he consumes, so an axe with a drinking problem. 

He ends up saving a girl who is about to be burned at the stake for being a witch and he saves her because his curse demands that he saves whoever is in need of help. Soren is indeed a witch and she becomes a member of this little ragtag group.


This picks up right where the first volume left off with Owen going after the Orc who killed his mentor and leader of his barbarian group years ago. he has to find where Gladius is and he wants his revenge. Along the way, he is killing and trying to get his friend Steel who is a vampire but hates being controlled by that side of him to get over it and stop being a hindrance. 

This volume had way more action and violence. Axe made me laugh way more because he was getting a pretty good buzz from all the creature blood. he also hated the vampire blood and was on the verge of vomiting which is hilarious. This left off on a cliffhanger with Owen going to hell and Soren becoming cursed with the curse that Owen is under.


This volume had competing storylines. One where Owen is in hell with his leader Deadheart and they have to find a way out of hell. We meet frogs who we learn do something so awful that whenever they die, they always get sent to hell. Owen meets the big bad who is out to get him in hell.

Soren, Steel and Axe are trying to find a way to save Owen from hell and they cross a mad ass woman named Ka who takes them hostage and wants them to kill a Irikian general who killed her parents. Ka recognizes Axe and knows the curse. They eventually end up exchanging a soul for soul and getting Owen out of hell. Owen refuses to leave Deadheart behind, and Steel ends up sacrificing his human soul to get Deadheart out of hell. 

With him sacrificing his human side, he becomes a full fledged vampire. When Deadheart escaped, another creature named Gabar which is a flaming skeleton attached onto her and got absorbed into a sword, so now we have two talking weapons.

I was kind of disappointed that we didn't get more backstory about Axe and how he came to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...