Finally starting to read Tolkein. I have been hesitant about getting into this world for years. I tried to read the first book of the Lord of The Rings when I was in 6th grade and I could not get into it. I tried to watch the movie instead and I was bored to tears.
When I was filling out my 2024 reading challenges, I added this book once again to a couple prompts. I told my oldest and she was interested. We decided to make it a summer read because our summer was completely free since I ended my babysitting job permanently. We got to it at the beginning of this school year and it took us a good bit of the month to read it because we watched the three movies in between and I am glad we did because the movies made it so much more real.
I knew going into this that I wanted to listen to the audiobook and with this being a classic, I figured that there would be multiple version with different narrators, and I chose the one that is narrated by Andy Serkis who is Gollum in the movie.
Andy Serkis grabbed my kids hearts when we watched Andor and when his character couldn't escape because he couldn't swim. Also he shares a birthday with my oldest.
Anyways, we follow our main man hobbit Bilbo who is just enjoying life in his hobbit hole when one day he gets bothered by Gandolf who eventually gets him roped into an adventure with dwarves who are on a quest to take back their throne under the mountain from the evil dragon Smaug.
Watching the movies made the dwarves so real to me and I have a two favorite dwarves. One is really coincidental. I have been thinking about the book series Poldark a lot lately and how I want to read it because it has been compared to Outlander. Well the actor who plays Kili, is Ross Poldark..... like WHAT ARE YOU TELLING ME UNIVERSE. The other dwarf that got my girls and hubby giggling is Bombur. Book Bombur and movie Bombur are so completely different.
The barrel scene in the movie is superior and by far better than the book barrel scene.
I am still hesitant about getting into the trilogy because the hobbit is considered middle grade and not as dense. But I will audiobook it.

No comments:
Post a Comment