I read this book solely so I could watch the movie that has a young Ben Barnes in it. I really enjoyed this book and it has become a favorite of the year. Sadly allegations have surfaced of Neil Gaiman and sexual assault. It feels really weird to be posting a review on a book of his that I really enjoyed at this time.
The book is mainly about a boy named Dunstan who lives is the village of Wall. They host a fair on the other side of the wall where fairies, gypsies and magical folk can mingle with the villagers. Dunstan becomes entranced by a woman who attached to a caravan by a silver chain. Her and Dunstan have sex and then 9 months later, a baby is pushed into the village from the other side of the wall. Dunstan is married and he takes in his son. His son Tristran becomes our main man who is going to the fair and he is in love with a woman from the village. He wants a kiss and marriage. When he proposes this, they see a fallen star and she gives him the impossible task of retrieving the fallen star and then she will agree to his proposal.
He goes on his adventures and we meet three Lords of Stormhold and three old witches who are also after the star. We meet creatures and we see very brutal fights and betrayals. I was engrossed with this story.

No comments:
Post a Comment