Another book crossed of my classics club challenge list. I have so many more to read before July next year. I put this book on my list because I remember watching some of the movie with my dad when I was little and all I remember is Jack Nicholson sitting in white clothes.
Before I started reading this, I read a synopsis online and it said that the main character gets commited to an institution for rape of a 15 year old girl. That is one thing that immediately lost it a star regardless because I have a 15 year old and I thought about not reading this.
The story is told from the point of view of a guy name Chief. He is an Indian "Native American" and he tells the story of the new guy on the ward who is the main character. His name is McMurphy and he decided to be institutionalized to not be on a work farm in Georgia.
He makes a big entrance and immediately he starts questions the big Nurse, Ms Ratched and her policies on the ward. There is alot of stereotypes and racism. There is assumptions of sexual assault by the aides in the shower rooms, but it is never said out right.
There were some times where I giggled and laughed but the audiobook I was listening to, I just could not get fully into this book and I got a little bored. I did end up giving this a 3 star because I did enjoy the difference that McMurphy made on the ward, but I know that the nurse probably went back to her old ways after he died and the other Acutes on the ward left on their free will.

No comments:
Post a Comment