Sunday, May 31, 2026

Review: The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness *SPOILERS*

 


I have read the third book in the All Souls or A Discovery of Witches series, and this one is by far my favorite of the three. I gave it 5 stars because the beginning made me cry. I love ghosts, and the inclusion of Phillipes and Emily's ghosts hit me in the feels. It made me cry when Emily said that she didn't get to say goodbye and she didn't want to leave them. It hit close to home because I am still grieving my grandmother who died in 2024 and I had to leave her in the hospital.

Anyways, this picks up right where the second book leaves off. Diana and Matthew arrive back in present day and see everyone at Sept-Tours. Diana learns that Peter Knox killed Emily and she begins grieving and Matthew is distraught because he really liked Emily. Sarah is trying to cope with smoking and drinking large amounts of whiskey. She is being looked after by Fernando who was the mate to Baldwin's brother Hugh. Fernando is trying to help her process the loss and he calls her the widow, which demands a large amount of respect in his culture.

The book takes place in multiple areas including France, London, Massachusetts and Venice. We learn of a new foe and he is awful. I genuinely got the ick because this character was introduced in book two and we get information that he is known as the bad seed. This character is raping witches and trying to get them like Diana and Matthews twins. He crosses Diana's path while she is in the Bodliean trying to get the manuscript and he tells her that he hopes her twins are girls.

That is one of my biggest fears since having three daughters myself. The ending was page turning and it made me excited for the fourth book. I am really excited to watch the third season now, even though I know that they may have changed some things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...