Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

 


Another classic read off of my 5 year classics list and I am sad to say that I will not be completing that list before July. 

I have had a bind up of all four books in this series since 2020 and I have been wanting to read this for years. If I think back, I do think that my 7th grade teacher read this outloud to us but I did not remember anything. My hubby also watched the movie years ago and at the time, I thought that the black and white was a stylistic choice that the screenwriters and directors decided, but that is not true.

This is a dystopian where we follow a 12 year old boy named Jonas who has been chosen to be the next receiver of memories. It is the highest honor and he gets to be the most respected. He gets to ask rude questions of the citizens and to lie. Those two things are forbidden. When you break a rule or ask a question, you have to apologize. The citizens or people around you automatically forgive you and you go about your day.

The citizens live in communities that live in Sameness. Everyday is the same with meal times and bedtimes and everything. You have to talk about your feelings every night and every morning, you have to talk about your dreams. You are assigned your future at 12. Jonas' dad is a nuturer who helps take care of the babies who around their first birthday are given names and given to their parents. If they are not ready, then the are released.

We also learn that the old people are in a community center and taken care of and when it is there time, they are also released.

We learn what release actually means and The Giver who is teaching Jonas and giving him memories is against everything. 

I do wish we got more about why everything went to sameness and who made the rules and are there other commuities like this. 

While reading this, I was seeing parallels and same situations from Brave New World and it also reminded me of Divergent. I am intrigued to continue the series even though I gave this a three. I am wanting to learn more about the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...