My hubby has been nagging me to watch the movie with him since this came out and I finally got to it because of the Goodreads bookmark challenge for spring. I had such high expectations because I really like the actors that are in the movie. It was also easier to picture the characters while reading except for the character of Joyce.
I had never watched anything with Celia Irmie before and I couldn't picture Joyce clearly. I also found her character rather annoying with the journal entries. But movie Joyce, I really liked her after watching. I will not be continuing in this series, but if they do adapt the sequels I will be watching with my family because my hubby and daughters loved it.
This book follows four old people who live in a retirement village in England. Three of the four are in a little group called the Thursday Murder Club. They meet every Thursday in the jogsaw room because it is vacant. They go over old cold cases that another resident had when she left the force. Her name is Penny and she is one of the main baddies but not really a baddie. She is close friends with Elizabeth who is the leader and a former MI5 or MI6, don't really know the difference.
Penny is in a coma and she is only shown when Elizabeth stops by to update her and visit. Elizabeth asks Joyce one day for some medical advice because Joyce was a nurse. Elizabeth brings Joyce into the club to figure out who murdered a girl and did the boyfriend do it.
While they are trying to figure that out, the owner of Coopers Chase named Ian is being a dick. He is wanting to dig up the graveyard and build new flats. The residents are against it and a priest named Father Mackie. We learn his story which is sad but was cut out of the movie. There is another owner of Coopers Chase named Tony Curran. Ian decides to cut him out of any future dealings and Tony gets pissed.
Tony is killed in his home and the Thursday Murder club is on the case. They get the officer who came to talk to the residents about safety and phone scams on the case. There was a lot of humor at the beginning of the story but it was nonexistent when the book started to get boring. Ian eventually moves forward with his plans to dig up the graveyard and there is protests. When Ian is on the way home because the work is stalled and he cant do nothing because the police need to go through legal channels, Ian drops dead.
They find out that Ian died from an overdose and that now all of them are suspects.The other storyline that was so unnecessary and was cut out of the book was Bernard's plotline.
By the end of this, I was skimming because I honestly did not care about the other plotlines or who killed who.

No comments:
Post a Comment