Monday, April 23, 2018

Review: The Kremlin Conspiracy by Joel C. Rosenberg

This is a hunker of a book and it is told in parts. So I am going to read one part at a time and then I am going to give a little summary or my thoughts of that part, maybe like a line or two and then move on to the next part. It is also told in dual perspectives which is sometimes a hit or miss for me.

PART ONE

We learn that a series of bombings is taking place around Russia and we are introduced to a slew of characters but the main character is named Oleg. He is a lawyer who has just been hired by the Prime Minister acting President.

PART TWO

We are introduced to another main character who lives in Colorado. He has an abusive step father and he enlists in the Marines after watching the World Trade Center towers collapse on September 11, 2001.

PART THREE

Mainly about Marcus Ryker's last mission while in Afghanistan and his thoughts on his buddies and commander. There is also one chapter for Oleg's wedding in Russia and how is was very similar to the Romanov wedding and the Winter Palace. So far, these parts are super short and they seem irrelevant to the story. I liked how at the beginning, the first part was all about Oleg and the second part was all for Marcus.

PART FOUR

Marcus and Elena have a new baby boy and Marcus leaves the marines. He eventually applies to be a secret service agent and Elena doesn't like the idea of him doing that job. Oleg and Marina finally have their own kid after two miscarriages and his father in law, the president of Russia takes over everything and he has the church name their baby. Oleg is resenting the President over his actions, but he can't voice them because he will die. Of course there is more to this part, but this is what I am putting so I don't spoil it.

PART FIVE

I am not going to summarize this part, but I am going to share my thoughts and my reactions. I was crying at the end of this part. It also contained a question that I have asked multiple times in my life and you will never get a good enough answer for it. I was not expecting this certain event to happen and I can't wait to see how the main character changes as a person due to this horrific moment.

PART SIX

Shit hits the fan and it is intense. Our two main characters meet and "team" up in a way. It also reminds me of all the talk of the Russians hacking our election and the President in this story sounds very Trump like. North Korea is also a part of this story and talks of nuclear war and missiles.

PART SEVEN

The beginning of this part is very thrilling. This part was my favorite section of all and I could not put the book down for very long without picking it up again. The shoot outs and assassinations and plot twists were definitely a favorite. The ending was very disappointing and I could see a sequel to this, but I feel that if there were to be a sequel, it would be drawn out or too short. Overall, I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...