Saturday, November 30, 2019

Review: Unthinkable by Helen Thomson


A book that was chosen for me to read for my August TBR that I never got around too because it was shipped so late, became a read for my nonfiction November TBR and I liked it a lot. It was recommended to me by my friend Nicchi who has her own Booktube channel and she hit the nail on the head with this one.

One of the rules I have for myself is that I will not pick up a nonfiction book if I do not have interest in the topic of the book. I broke the rule for this book because I know there were a bunch of mental illnesses and abilities that people have and I did not want to be confused by all the scientific brain talk. I broke the rule because of the cover and also it was recommended to me not once but twice by two different people.

How this book was formatted and how each person that the author interviewed and shared their story was given their own sections that solely focused on them and the history of their condition. Some of the stories were sad, others were just downright non believable. At one point, I wanted to go have an MRI, CAT and PET scan done on myself so I could know how my brain was functioning.

I give this a 4 out of 5 stars because while reading, sometimes I started drifting off when the author was detailing the parts of the brain and the names of certain parts functioned with these certain parts, I was dazed and confused. I wish that the author would have put some diagrams of the brain as she was discussing each condition. Also I believe this book would make a great documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...