Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Review: Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle



I am participating in the 2nd ever Tis-the-season-a-thon which a week long readathon that was created last year on Booktube and I wanted to give it a go and challenge myself to read more than 1-2 books. I have already completed one of the prompts of having a holiday treat while reading. I had hot chocolate with hazelnut creamer. The readathon started on Monday and on Monday night I was done with the first story in this book. I will be reviewing each story.

The Jubilee Express: The first story in this book is about a girl named Jubilee who gets the most shocking news that her parents have been arrested on Christmas Eve and she is being sent down to Florida to stay with her grandparents. While she is on the train, the train gets stuck due to the biggest snow storm to have happened in years. She makes the trek from the train to go find warmth in the local Waffle House and there she meets love interest Stuart, who I am swooning over. This one will probably be my favorite, we will have to see.

I am having to restrain myself from going ahead and watching the Netflix show because I just want to see these two on screen.

A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle: My first foray into reading a John Green story and I hated it. It was misogynistic and sexist. It's basically about these three characters, 2 boys and 2 girl and all the 2 boys care about is going out in the middle of a snow storm to get to the Waffle House before anyone else because of the CHEERLEADERS. The girl who is named Duke because she was mistakenly called Duke by the proprietor of the Duke and Duchess convenience store. She was dressed as a boy and was called Duke, and the name stuck. She is okay with it.

Keun, the assistant manager at the Waffle House is a sexist pig who only care about playing twister with the cheerleaders and them falling into his arms as they are practicing their pyramid. He didn't care about the safety of Tobin, Duke or JP when they slid down the hill or that Tobin was close to frostbite.

If this is how the rest of John Green's stories are, then I am better off staying away from his work.

The Patron Saint of Pigs: The second book character that I have read this year and have not liked is named Addie. The first Addie was in One of Us is Lying. I did not like that character. This Addie was self centered and whiny. She cheated on her boyfriend and then dumped him and then begged him to get back with her. There is a cute teacup pig that I only discovered a couple years ago and they are so freaking cute.

The ending was not up to my expectations and they all met up in a Starbucks. How lame is that. But I did enjoy all the connections when they happened and I gave this story a 3 out of 5.

Overall my ratings for these three stories are as follows:

The Jubille Express: 5 stars
A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle: 2 stars
The Patron Saint of Pigs: 3 stars

My average rating for this book is 3 out of 5 stars which is a bummer because I really loved the first story of Jubilee and Stuart. Time to go watch the show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...