Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Review: A House In The Sky by Amanda Lindhout
My first non-fiction read of 2020. I am doing a global nonfiction A-Z challenge this year. My TBR was posted on Sunday where I list all of the books and the countries that they are set in in ABC order.
This book was written by Amanda Lindhout, a woman who was kidnapped and held captive for 15 months in Somalia. She goes into detail about her rough childhood and her moms various abusive boyfriends. She talks about how she got a good paying job at a gentleman's club that helped fund her first trip abroad with her boyfriend. She tells about her time in the Middle East visiting Pakistan, Afghanistan. Working for Press Tv in Iraq.
That was the first quarter of the book. The rest is about her time in Somalia and how her and her partner Nigel were yanked out of their SUV on the way to a meeting to take photographs. They were moved many times and she goes on to talk about her conversion to Islam to try to keep herself alive and how she was also gang raped.
It was very hard to get through the ending because if was very depressing and it felt like there was a stone on my chest while reading. She is an absolute brave soul to be able to go back to Somalia years later and try to educate the women there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2
I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...
-
I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am goi...
-
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl . This week is a freebie prompt so I am going to be sharing m...
-
This outfit is called lazy day . I made this set just on a whim. I saw the socks while I was watching an episode of Pit Bulls and Parolees,...

No comments:
Post a Comment