Monday, January 6, 2020
Review: Romanov by Nadine Brandes
Another book that I definitely slept on last year. This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019 and its because it is a magical retelling of Anastasia. I grew up watching the cartoon movie thanks to my grandma and I have always been fascinated with any and everything dealing Russian history. Particularly Imperial Russia and the Romanov family.
The author's note included in this book is something that I really appreciated. She clearly announces that the first half of this book has is mostly factual with a few truths stretched to make the story more engaging. The second half is purely the imagination of Nadine Brandes with real names.
If you don't know the history of the Romanov family, they were the last Tsar family in Imperial Russia before it was taken over by the Soviets. They accused the Tsar of not caring for the people and called for his abdication. Soon after, the Bolsheviks sent the family into exile in Siberia. They were held captive while the Soviet Red Army engaged in war with the Loyal White Army.
The Romanov's were brutally executed on false orders and the conspiracy theories to this day announce that Anastasia and her brother Alexei survived the execution but that turned out to be rumors. There have also been multiple impersonators throughout the years and disgracing and disrespecting the lives of the family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin
DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...
-
I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am goi...
-
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl . This week is a freebie prompt so I am going to be sharing m...
-
This outfit is called lazy day . I made this set just on a whim. I saw the socks while I was watching an episode of Pit Bulls and Parolees,...

No comments:
Post a Comment