Monday, February 17, 2020

Review: Miracle In The Andes by Nando Parrado


My A-Z challenge for 2020 is still going well. I have finished my 3rd book. For the letter M, I chose Miracle In The Andes by Nando Parrado. It is about a Uruguay rugby team that had a plane crash in the Andes Mountains between the border of Argentina and Chile. This is the memoir of one of the survivors.

Sixteen boys survived out of 35-40 passengers. They were stranded on the glacier for 72 days and they had to endure harsh winds, snow, avalanches, altitude sickness, frost bite, dehydration, and starvation. They had chartered an Uruguayan air force plane to take them to Chile to have an exhibition rugby match against a Chile team.

In the first chapter, it was kind of boring to read because the author info dumps so much of his family history into this one chapter. He talks about how they are on the plane and it starts to go down and then he goes into his grandfather's and father's history and then start talking about how his mother immigrated from Europe with her family before the start of World War 2. I personally didn't care about the history of his family and it didn't make a difference to his story.

I thought I would have a problem with the cannibalism that they had to resort to in order to survive. They had to eat the bodies of their friends. I was horrified but that it is a crucial part of any survival, that if you have not available food source or animal life around, you may have to wait for a person to kick the bucket first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...