Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Review: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini



A book that has been on my TBR for the last 5 years and I read it this week and all I can say is WTF. I refused to read the synopsis and went into it completely blind and I am glad I did. I heard about this book through one of my former classmates, she was looking for a first addition that was signed and I immediately put it on my TBR because she is a bigger reader than I am and I know that if she is looking for a special copy, then it has to be damn good.

This book is about the lives of two little boys Amir and Hassan, living in a peaceful Afghanistan. Amir is well off, and Hassan is his servant. These two little boys grow up together and they are told all their lives that they are brothers because they nursed from the same woman. During a kite flying competition that is a sport and kind of olympic like, Amir is the winner and Hassan goes off to fetch the kite that Amir cut. Hassan is known as Amir's kite runner. Something happens that changes the lives of these two boys forever.

I was not expecting this book to get so dark as quick as it did. I wanted to knock sense into Amir and tell him to stop being a damn brat and be there for his friend who has suffered a traumatic event. While reading, I was having a hard time trying to picture Afghanistan as a peaceful monarchy because all I have ever known about the country is what I learned after September 11th. This book had me wanting to research the country's history and all about the monarchy.

After the traumatic event happened to Hassan, I had a hard time wanting to continue because I was just so distraught and then the ending was just excruciating to continue through. I figured I would cry, but the author had a good way of making you feel anxious, hopeful, empty and dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...