Saturday, December 4, 2021

Review: Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

 

After having this on my TBR for the longest time, I have finally gotten around to it and I have to say it was a book that really made me think and have all the feels. I felt so much stress just reading through Eliza. She created this huge fandom, she was branded the mother of a fandom and she kept it all close to her with only a few people knowing. I felt nostalgia with her relationship with Wallace and I felt anger at Wallace and her parents.

Eliza is the creator of a famous web-comic called Monstrous Sea. It is a story that she wanted and that she drew. It has millions of followers and it has impacted her life. In the real world, she is known as Eliza Mirk, a weird nobody who doesn't care about anyone, not even herself and thinks the whole world is out to get her. Her online persona is LadyConstellation. LadyConstellation talks to her fans and interacts with them during reality TV show marathons. She doesn't read the comments when ever she uploads new pages every Friday. 

She is not real close to her parents or her two little brothers and during the duration of this story she learns how much she has really isolated herself from her brothers because she has no idea that one of her brothers is really into singing and wants to do the school musical. She rails against her parents every chance she gets because she feels that they just don't get her and there is a reason why... she DOESN'T TALK TO THEM! I hated how she treated her parents. 

When Wallace enters the picture, I thought he was ging to be a cool character. I mean he is the well known fanfiction writer for Monstrous Sea. Of course Eliza keeps her secret and tries to tell Wallace, but then it is told to the world and this is when Wallace turns into a big ass douche canoe asshole who is very selfish. Eliza's identity has been leaked to the world. Her millions of followers now know everything about her personally. Wallace then tries to guilt trip her into finishing the comic so he could finish the fanfiction and get a book deal. He is looking for his own personal gain and not giving a damn about what Eliza is going through. He feels that Eliza lied to him when he told her his own sob story. He was attacked by the fact that she was monetarily successful and didn't have to worry about paying for college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...