Another 5 star read for the year. I really loved this character driven story. I was gripped from chapter one with the creation of the golem and why she was created. I was kind of bored with the second chapter because the jinni was not interesting to me. This is a historical fiction novel about two creations from different religions. A golem is a clay model of a human. Our golem was made for a man who died right after waking up the golem on the boat to America. A jinni is a being who is flame and is lower ranking than angels.
The golem eventually escapes the boat and steps into New York and is found by a rabbi who notices her straight away. He wars with himself to destroy her or teach her how to be human. He gets her a room in a boarding house and a job in a bakery in the Jewish neighborhood. The jinni is freed from a copper flask by a tin smith. This copper flask had been handed down for generations and the jinni was captured for over a thousand years. He emerges with an iron cuff on his wrist binding him to his human form.
I really enjoyed this story. Every character that was introduced, their story was immediately told and how they would impact the lives of our main characters. I didn't find myself bored with the jinni long. I also did request the second book from my library immediately because I need to know what happens since it will also be around the time of World War 1.
5 out of 5 stars and I highly recommend!!
No comments:
Post a Comment