Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Review: The Lighthouse by Christopher Parker

 

Thanks to Netgalley for the e-copy of this October release. It is a young adult magical realism book about a small town and how a local teens death may not be what it seems. 

We follow a young girl named Amy who is grieving the recent death of her mother. She and her dad are not getting along and her dad is a cop. He gets an assignment that takes him to the small town of Seabrook to notify the family, that they are closing the case because they don't have the resources to search for a runaway. Amy's dad Kevin ends up taking her along to give them a change of scenery.

The first night in the hotel, Amy decides to take some of her dad's sleeping pills to help her sleep and she ends p falling asleep in the bath tub. Here enters Ryan, a local boy who is having the worst time in life. He has been a caregiver to his dad for years who suffered a stroke and he has to run the family ranch and take care of the horses. Ryan is not telling his dad all that is wrong because he does not want to risk him having another stroke because it could be fatal. 

Ryan is at the hotel and he sees puddles of water coming from Amy's room and he goes into the bathroom and sees her unconscious. She eventually wakes up and screams at him. Then she goes to bed and wakes up the next morning and has the urge to apologize to him.

I ended up giving this book a 3 out of 5 stars because half of the book was romance and I was wanting more of the paranormal magical feeling. During the romance we do get the creepy story of the Lighthouse and how it is supposedly haunted by the old lighthouse keeper. When it did get to the good parts, I was a little bored with the normal problems and the insta love. The insta love was not my cup of tea and I did not enjoy it. 

I will be on the lookout for more books by this author because the writing style I liked and the 3 POV's flowed really well together and was not disjointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...