My third book within a two month span that has a main character named Alice. Was it confusing at the beginning... HELL YEA! I chose this book for my Buzzword Readathon challenge for December. The buzzword was day, week or season, so I chose this because Fall.
Going into this book, I knew that it was centered around a lottery ticket. It reminded me of a fanfiction that I read years ago that had the same plot. I expected it to be a girl buys lottery ticket and then expects a cut of the winnings. What I didn't expect was the girl who bought the lottery ticket to be so in love with the boy that she bought it for and refuse his offer to share the money with her.
The book starts off with Alice in a convenience store buying a Powerball ticket for her best friend Teddy who is celebrating his 18th birthday. Alice has no idea what to do and she chooses numbers that are personal to her. She goes to Teddy's party and gifts him the ticket. He eventually loses it in the garbage after they realize that Teddy has a winning ticket.
Of course, the rest of the story is fairly predictable. Teddy lets the winnings go to his head and starts buying a bunch of junk. His dad who has a gambling addiction comes back into the picture wanting some of the money. Alice just wants Teddy back to herself and she also has a little love triangle going on. Overall I give a 4 out of 5 stars for this fast paced slow burn.

No comments:
Post a Comment