Monday, May 16, 2022

Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

 

Should I be starting a new series when I have so many to finish and don't know when that will be because I don't prioritize them.... no, but did I..... YESS. Do I have any regrets.. nope. I listened to this on audio and really enjoyed it. I did read along with it, which is what I do with all my big books. I chose this for one of my prompts for the magical readathon spring quinox readathon that is created and hosted by Book Roast on booktube. 

I had been wanting to read this book since 2015 when I heard so much hype about the show and love for the books. I have watched the first episode in the middle of reading this because I could already picture Claire and Jamie from the promos for the show, but I needed to see the other characters and doing that, just made me enjoy the story that much more. 

There were many times where I dog eared the pages, scandalous I know.. but my copy is an already battered mass market paperback that will be replaced with a 25th anniversary edition because I need it. I have so many quotes dog eared because they gave me a good laugh and I can't wait to see it in the show. 

We follow a woman named Claire who is honeymooning with her husband in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. They are both back together after the war and they are trying to have a baby and reconnect. They are exploring and they come across this stone structure that is like stonehenge. They watch this sort of ritual where these women are dancing in circles and holding lanterns. After, Claire goes looking around the stones and sees these purple flowers which she is interested in and then she starts hearing drum beats. The woman touches the stones where she hears the noise and is instantly transported back in time to the 18th century where Britian is fighting the Jacobites. At first, she thinks it is a re-enactment, but then she actually gets shot at and she sees her husband ancestor who turns out to be the main villian of our story. 

The romance between Jamie and Claire is one that I really enjoyed. The amount of sex scenes I was not expecting. I can't wait to finish watching season 1 and get to the second book. I do want to take my time with this series and enjoy it, but I don't want to take too long and forget important details. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought this series sounded fun. Interesting that her husband's ancestor is a villain!

    ReplyDelete

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...