Friday, March 3, 2023

Review: Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

 


Another hyped book that missed the mark for me. It had so many similarities and parallels to another book that I read this year and definitely didn't like. I will always say that this book is a watered down version of A Little Life by Hanya Yanaghihara. I read this on ebook and felt that it was way longer than it should have been and it took me a week to read because it was slow and repetitive. 

It's about these two friends named Sam and Sadie. They have been friends since childhood when they met at the hospital. Sadie's sister is battling cancer and Sam is constantly having surgery on his foot. They play games and Sadie decides to record her time at the hospital as community service for her bat mitzvah. Right away from a young age, Sadie is already a shady person. 

There is a cringey student professor relationship and abortion. Multiple fights between our main characters. The talk of appropriation on their first game because it is about a Japanese character and fighting about who gets credit and sexism in the gaming and programming world. 

I wanted to love this book because it is about gaming and it is set in the 90's. But the dynamic between the characters and the constant bickering about the same shit was annoying as hell. The only part of this book that held my attention was the ending which is kind of ironic because one of the characters Marx, who becomes a major role in the book, when asked by Sam what his favorite part of The Illiad is, he says it is the end which earns him the nickname Tamer of Horses. 

I ended up giving this book a 3 stars because it did make me feel emotions at the death scenes but I was pulled out of the story with every argument and cattiness of Sadie who started arguments for no reason. 

1 comment:

  1. I started reading this book in the library and liked what I read. I hope to find it in the library and finish it. I am curious about how I will react to it. Different readers will surely have different reactions to most books.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...