Sunday, July 28, 2024

Review: How to Become The Dark Lord and Die Trying by Django Wexler

 


Another new release read this year. I seriously am trying to be better about reading new releases but my library makes it really difficult. I really would like to vote for more than one book during the Goodreads choice awards at the end of the year. I may make my November tbr themed and just read new releases from the beginning of the year and this summer. Anyways... on to my thoughts of this book.

The title itself drew me in without reading the synopsis when I first heard it and then I heard that it was hilarious and everyone was giving it 5 stars. I got it from my library for three glorious weeks and I ended up giving it a 4 star. It was funny and I had a good time reading it, but by the end, I was just ready for it to be OVER! 

We follow our "heroine" Davi as she keeps being killed and resurrected. A fantasy groundhog day. She is getting sick and tired of being captured by the villains and being tortured to death. So then she decides to say fuck the kingdom and she sets out to become the dark lord. It takes many attempts to get a band of orcs on her side along with fox wilders, deer wilders and others. 

She has to get her horde of minions to the convocation where the dark lord is chosen and along the way, there is conflict, but it is a well oiled machine and it is surprising that all of her minions worked together and didn't clash. 

There were a couple of ick scenes where an attempt of rape happened and then one of Davi's advisors that she slept with got the wrong idea about them and then got butthurt when she decided to go to her number 1 advisor for nighttime play action and he decided to have her killed. A typical man wanting to kill a woman because she rather go down on another woman than him. 

The ending like I said was way to drawn out and thankfully this is a duology because there is ot much more of the story that can be explored besides that main chant that happened which would be a major spoiler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...