Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Review: The Last Letter by Rebecca Yarros

 


Another military romance for the year and this time it is by Rebecca Yarros, the author of Fourth Wing. Once again, I read this in less than 24 hours and I sobbed like a damn baby. It is not just romance, there is death and terminal illness and kids involved and it made me hug my babies.

This is set in a small ski town in Colorado and the main female owns a ski resort. Ella inherited it from her grandmother and she has just mortgaged it to put in new cabins to draw more business. Her brother is in the military and he asks her to write to one of his buddies who doesn't get mail. His call name is Chaos and in the span of 24 letters they form a real connection. 

Ella has 6 year old twins and her daughter gets diagnosed with neuroblastoma which is only seen in infants. She gets a stage 4 diagnosis and undergoes chemo, radiation and other treatments. Ella confides in Chaos as someone to vent to. Until there is a death that unravels and makes everything more difficult and slow burn-y. 

Beckett arrives in Telluride to help Ella with whatever she needs because the bills are piling up and she feels that Colt is not getting enough attention. I swear the bond between Maisie and Colt are scary. The end where Maisie felt the pain and didn't feel it anymore made me drop the book and couldn't breathe because I was crying so hard. 

This is the first time where I am glad that her other military books follow other couples because I feel that the ending to this was tied up very nicely and that anything else would be an ivasion of privacy.... this fake fictional characters..... WHAT!

But unlike my reading experience with Pretend You're Mine where I didn't want to put it down, I did put this down multiple times because I needed to breathe and process. I didn't go crazy needing my own copy at the moment, but it will be on my shelf because Rebecca Yarros is now an auto buy author for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...