Another classic done and checked off the list. I thought it was OK and gave it a 3 out of 5 stars. I kind of figured it would be bland for me because I do not like familial classics. I need action like Les Miserables, A Tale of Two Cities, Macbeth, The Picture of Dorian Gray.... etc. I found myself nodding off every time I picked this up and I was listening to the audio book and reading along. To be honest, this book did not need to be this long and it would have been fine being half the size.
Little Women is set during the civil war in the North and thankfully, it is not mentioned much beside the father being away in the war. I have read two civil war fictions this year and I can confidently say that it is not one of the wars that I enjoy reading about.
We follow four sisters who grow up and become their own people and navigate relationships and learn how to be proper women. The second eldest daughter Jo is so much like my oldest daughter who is very tomboyish and wants a short hair cut and doesn't want to be a wife or mom and I support her in those decisions. But I did think that Jo was very blind because she was best friends with Laurie and she calls him her boy and she did not think that of course he would fall for her.
I ended up looking up the cast and who portrayed who and I could put the faces with names which then made the book more enjoyable.

No comments:
Post a Comment