Thursday, October 26, 2017

Review: First Year by Rachel E. Carter


I had forgotten all about this book, and then as I was scrolling through my favorites list one day trying to clear some of my bookmarks away, I came across the PDF i was sent to review. I read the first chapter and it hooked me. It's about twin brother and sister who has set off to go to this magical school to train for what they want to be. Along the way, the girl Ryiah finds out that she does indeed have magic and she can pain cast which is dangerous.

This reminded me a lot of Harry Potter and Divergent. Harry Potter because it's magic and the castle is a boarding school and it reminded me of Divergent because their chosen study that they want is called factions.

A couple days after I started reading this, I was watching a video from Benjaminoftomes on YouTube and he had the complete series and he was hyping it up. It was very repetitive at times and it had some tropes which I don't particularly like. For example, the main guy has an attitude problem towards our main character the whole time and the behavior between both of them go from friendly to enemy in less than 140 characters.

I am hoping that some of the repetitiveness is gone in the rest of the books. You can only read that she goes to the armory and vomiting so many times before you get bored. I gave this book a three out of 5 for that reason. I love the story line, but I think it could have gone a little differently but with the same outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...