Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood


I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. It's confusing and also scary to think about. I wanted to enjoy this story and at times I did, but I just didn't like how the main character Offred acted ignorant. She seemed to play the dumb card a lot. Also when it got to really good parts, it would just skip over into past memories. I understand that this is made to read like a diary from her perspective, but it was just clear cut. It made you think and it didn't really describe how everything started and how people actually let this happen.

It also left me with a lot of questions. What happened to her daughter. Why didn't she get to stay with her husband, was it because he was married before? Who decided the classifications? Who exactly were the commanders? Why were some babies called shredder babies? Was Offred pregnant at the end?

This made me very fearful of the future and how current events are leading. I am fearful for my daughters futures. I ask Cayce everytime some horrific happens in the world, I ask him "Why the hell did we bring children into this fucked up world?" I also realized that if this was to happen or something similar, is that I would not survive because of choices I made regarding my reproductive health.

I am hoping that when I watch the show, that I will get a better understanding of this world and it would answer some unanswered questions. Also, I would love to have a sequel or companion from Ofglen's POV or what happened to Offred, when she was taken by the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...