I am having a really difficult time trying to gather all of my opinions and to be able to type them out without going into a complete rage. I absolutely despise this story and the person who is Doss. This is about a soldier named Desmond T. Doss who is sent to Okinawa during World War 2 to battle the Japanese.
I had no idea before I started this book is how religious it was. I am not religious at all and whenever I read or hear about it, I get very uncomfortable. Desmond T. Doss is an Adventist. He lives by the Ten Commandments and takes the Bible literally. He enters the army as a conscientious objector. He refuses to bear arms while in the army and overseas. When his fellow soldiers learn his views, they pick on him and torment him, while the whole time he is praying to God to help him through it.
In my opinion, I see conscientious objectors as dead weight. Even though Desmond T. Doss was a medic and saved many men, I just had plenty of issues with him overall. He was so disrespectful to his superior officers and to the military chain of command in general.
He kept requesting passes for a Saturday to go to church to keep to the Sabbath, and his superiors specifically told him no more. He then went crying to his minister who called higher ups in Washington and they chewed the superiors out.
He blatantly shoved his disobedience into everyone's face and got his way. He was like a little kid who throws a tantrum because things didn't go his way and the parents just say fuck it, here you go, now shut up.
If you are a conscientious objector and refuse to bear arms, then you have no reason to be in the military. If you refuse the right to bear arms, then why would you surround yourself with thousands of people who are killing each other with weapons that you refuse to touch. Does that not go against your moral compass?

No comments:
Post a Comment