Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

 


Hearing about this book for years and the story I read was not what I was expecting. I was expecting a heist and then I realized I may have been thinking about Six of Crows. I really enjoyed this overall. It is very cliche with the love triangle and the teen girl that will end up saving the world after becoming a criminal. It did answer a question that I had with the new book covers and the deer on the cover of this book. 

We meet the two orphans Alina and Mal living in a estate owned by a Duke. Then we meet them grown and serving in the Second Army. They are own their way to the Shadow Fold, a dark mass that stretches across the land. Everyone is scared to cross the darkness because of the monsters that live in it. They get attacked and then there is a blinding white light that scares the soldiers and makes the Grisha take notice and it gets the attention of the Darkling. The Darkling is the leader of the Second Army and Grisha and he takes Alina with him to the Little Palace to start her training as a Grisha. 

I enjoyed the Russian inspirations and the setting. The weather described was very relatable because it has been freezing where I live. My favorite scene has to be when Alina connects with the Morozova stag and the bond between those two were instantaneous. I will be picking up the second book next month. I will not push off this series because I want to watch the Netflix adaptation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...