Sunday, January 17, 2021

Review: Amulet: The Stonekeeper (Book1) by Kazu Kibuishi


 

At the end of last year, I came across an article that had a list of books that my 6th grader should read. It had a massive lists including fiction, nonfiction, poetry and graphic novels. My oldest daughter Samantha is in love with graphic novels and I think she has made it her life's mission to read every single one in the world. So I showed her the list and I had her pick 12 for her yearly TBR. She is still a struggling reader somewhat and gets overwhelmed when she reads for to long. The first book she chose to start off her TBR for the year was this one. It is the first book in a series and she started and finished this on New Years Day. She then immediately wanted me to request the rest of the series from our library and demanded that I read it so she could "fangirl" (her words not mine) about it. 

This story is about two kids who move to an old house with their mom. The house belong to mother's  grandfather who disappeared. They are looking for a change and to start fresh after the kids father dies in a car accident. The first night in the new house, they hear a creepy noise and the mom gets "eaten" by a weird looking octopus creature. The girl Emily is then tasked with saving her mom and becoming master of robots. 

I did not expect any of it. I keep away from synopsis'. The art style was perfect for middle grade. It was soft and muted. It's not bright and in your face and it is also not dull either. Most of it is more art than story and the illustrations do not disappoint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...