Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Review: With These Wicked walls by Lauren Blackwood

 

Thanks to NetGalley for the E-ARC of this and giving me the opportunity to provide my thoughts and opinions and absolute love for this amazing retelling. This book is a debut and it is going to be released on November 9, 2021. This is an Ethiopian inspired Jane Eyre retelling.

Our main characters name is Andromeda, Andi for short and she is a new practicing debtera. A debtera is a exorcist and she has left her childhood home to find a patronage so she wont have to have a license in the future to work more exorcism jobs. She gets to the home of a white man who is heir to a chocolate empire. She meets the head house keeper and the rest of the staff and she learns the rules. She has to abide by a 10PM curfew which she immediately breaks the first night and regrets it instantly. 

I ended up giving this book a 5 out of 5 stars because it was very creepy and so atmospheric. I felt transported to this hell hole and the characters felt so real. I was annoyed by the constant back and forth between Magnus and Andi with should they be together or not. I wish there were more of the country setting included. It briefly mentions that Ethiopia allowed slavery and that basically it. It doesn't mention town names or history. The word colonizer is used towards Magnus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...