My second Victor Lavalle book read and it was ok. The first book of his that I read was The Changeling and it was so amazing and i just recently found out that it got adapted and I can't wait to watch the show.
I have heard so many good thing about this. How the author packs such a punch in less than 200 pages. Honestly, I was confused through the first quarter of the book because it felt to me that we were expected to know what Tom's job was as a hustler and who he worked for. I was confused about who Ma Att was and then the yellow book that Tommy was supposed to deliver would start smoking in the sunlight. It isn't specified if the magic in this book is voodoo or hoodoo which is two completely seperate forms of magic.
Tommy lives with his father in Harlem and his father is basically run ragged and basically broken down from his former job as a brick layer. He is only 40 years old which I was picturing a father in his 50's or 60's, as Tommy is only 20 years old.
The more I think about this story as a whole, I get a little more confused and have more questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment