Thankfully this is not the same as the earlier Hercule Poirot books. I need to catch up with the adaptations because they make the story stick more in my head. Since this one was so different and didn't just focus on one case but a slew of cases that dealt with one major organization, I did get confused at some parts.
The book starts off with Hastings going to surprise Poirot because he misses him and when they are talking, a random guy shows up in Poirot's hotel room and dies. He does say some words and the number 4. Poirot and Hastings are then told that the guy is an escapee from a nearby mental asylum and not to think of what the dude said.
Poirot can't let this number 4 thing go, and for good reason. Turns out 4 is a big crime organization consisting of an american, a french woman, a britsh man and a chinese national. The handful of cases that happens helps Poirot find out the identities of the members of the Big Four. The Big Four have had enough of Poirot and Hastings and decide to do away with them.
This was the first time I thought that Agatha Christie did the thing where she ended a character and that would be the end of the story arc for them and that this was supposed to be an ending to the Hercule Poirot story. I enjoyed the different direction this took.

No comments:
Post a Comment