Thursday, January 2, 2025

Review: A Discovery of Witched by Deborah Harkness


 When I got this from the library, I did not realize how massive this was and I am a slow reader with chunky books. I finished this on New Years Eve and it is a 4 star. It took me a while to get into it because it was slow and I hated all the science terms and I skimmed the poetry passages in the beginning. 

I did not know anything going into this because it had been on my TBR for years. We follow a woman named Diana Bishop who is a descendant of Bridget Bishop, the first woman who was executed in the Salem Witch trials. Diana is a witch who wants to ignore her powers and just live her life as a historian. She is researching for a keynote address that she is scheduled to do and one of the books she needs is to high up. She uses her magic briefly to bring down the book and attracts the attention of another professor. One Mathhew Clairmont who is an old ass vampire. 

The world is filled with vampires, witches and daemons. They all live side by side but they do not mix. Diana unknowingly attracts attention to herself when she request a manuscript that has been considered lost and bewitched. She breaks the spell and reads some of the manuscript and sends it back, which sends every creature into a tizzy and puts a target on her back.

Matthew becomes a protector of sorts and they start to fall in love. Diana gets threatened with a picture of her murdered parents and Mathhew wisks her away to his home in France where things become even better and worse.

Knowing what the main actors look like made me able to picture these character more clearly and enjoy this a lot more. I am a little iffy about the end with the time travel. I cant wait to watch the first season of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...