The first ever Shakespeare that I read was Macbeth and that was a couple years ago. It was an instant favorite because of the setting and the witches and the madness. I was so excited to read this it was an anticipated read for last year. I ended up giving it 3 stars.
I was not expecting it to be so feminist but it is a retelling, so that is not a con. I did have a problem with the constant mention of bloody thighs and how there was no women to be found in Macbeth's court.
I enjoyed and appreciated the glossary at the beginning and it was utilized in the first few chapters. The numerous names that Roscille had was very confusing and whenever one was used, I did not know who was being talked about.
Roscille is essentially sold to Macbeth by her father in an arranged marriage because they are allies. Roscille shows up with her handmaiden who has been disguised to look like Roscille because Macbeth is that paranoid already. Hawise the handmaiden is carted off one at the castle and never seen again. Roscille assumes that she was pushed off a cliff and died.
Roscille is shown her chamber that has no window and they are wed. Macbeth takes her to his secret lair where he has chained three witches in a black darkness that is filled with sea water. They do his laundry and give him his prophecies.
Roscille then requests a ruby necklace from Macbeth and he goes to battle against a neighboring clan and becomes the Thane of Cawdor after he murders that clan leader. While he is gone, Roscille tries to befriend the young son of Banqhuo and they hatch a plot and hurt each other to try to stir up conflict for Macbeth.
This book was all one big cluster fuck of bad decisions and guilt. Roscille is basically a puppet sometimes for Macbeth and she falls hard for Lisander and learns a secret of his identity.

No comments:
Post a Comment