Friday, June 23, 2017

Review: Woman No. 17 by Edan Lepucki


About the BookHigh in the Hollywood Hills, writer Lady Daniels has decided to take a break from her husband. Left alone with her children, she’s going to need a hand taking care of her young son if she’s ever going to finish her memoir. In response to a Craigslist ad, S arrives, a magnetic young artist who will live in the secluded guest house out back, care for Lady’s toddler, Devin, and keep a watchful eye on her older, teenage son, Seth. S performs her day job beautifully, quickly drawing the entire family into her orbit, and becoming a confidante for Lady.

My Thoughts: This book was not what I was expecting at all. I thought it would be more drama filled but instead it was based on two women trying to figure out what the hell they are doing with their lives and work through their mommy issues. I related to this book in that way because growing up, I was emotionally and some times verbally abused by my mother.

We follow two women named Lady and Esther aka S. S is a college student trying to find her place in the art world and she decides to pretend to be her mother by acting and dressing up like her. Lady is a rich woman who has separated from her husband. She has a teenage son from a previous relationship and he is a selective mute. All throughout this book, we see Lady smothering him and complaining that she should only know her and her son's special signs and she doesn't want anyone getting close to him.

S got on my nerves. She was a character who had so much potential and the author turned her characters into an unlikable alcoholic. I hate alcoholics with a passion. My mother drinks heavily and Lady and S' behavior made me truly uncomfortable.

About the AuthorEDAN LEPUCKI is the New York Times bestselling author of the novel California as well as the novella If You’re Not Yet Like Me. A contributing editor and staff writer at the Millions, she has also published fiction and nonfiction in McSweeney’s, the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, the Cut, and elsewhere. She is the founder of Writing Workshops Los Angeles.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...