Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Review: The Sky Is Yours by Chandler Klang Smith


About The BookIn the burned-out, futuristic city of Empire Island, three young people navigate a crumbling metropolis constantly under threat from a pair of dragons that circle the skies. When violence strikes, reality star Duncan Humphrey Ripple V, the spoiled scion of the metropolis’ last dynasty; Baroness Swan Lenore Dahlberg, his tempestuous, death-obsessed betrothed; and Abby, a feral beauty he discovered tossed out with the trash; are forced to flee everything they’ve ever known. As they wander toward the scalded heart of the city, they face fire, conspiracy, mayhem, unholy drugs, dragon-worshippers, and the monsters lurking inside themselves. In this bombshell of a novel, Chandler Klang Smith has imagined an unimaginable world: scathingly clever and gorgeously strange, The Sky Is Yours is at once faraway and disturbingly familiar, its singular chaos grounded in the universal realities of love, family, and the deeply human desire to survive at all costs.


The Sky Is Yours is incredibly cinematic, bawdy, rollicking, hilarious, and utterly unforgettable, a debut that readers who loved Cloud Atlas, Super Sad True Love Story, and Blade Runner will adore.

My Thoughts: I got this book completely because of the cover. I thought it would be another great dystopian, and yet the first few chapters, I started to hate it. Duncan or "Dunk" our main character is a spoiled man child who believes he is hot shit. I immediately disliked him because in the first chapter, he speaks poorly about women and then jerks off in his flying contraption.
This whole story is demeaning to women. The women are called wenches and being demoralized. Duncan's mother was pretty much a "child bride" type and she dresses like a prostitute as she is called many times in the book. There is a lot of fat shaming towards Swanny who was arranged to be married to Duncan. 
I felt sorry for the character of Abby. She supposedly saves Duncan from when he crashes and she is living on a landfill island. She is mentally unstable and socially awkward and yet, Duncan takes advantage of her and fucks her. She had no idea what sex was and he basically raped her. She probably gave consent but had no idea what the hell was going on. He tells her she is his property now and that just made me sick to my stomach.
There is also no hilarious moments in this book. If you find it funny, then you are probably a male who think women are below you and have no respect for women. I don't know how a female author can write this sort of story in today's world and get praise for it. I will not be reading anything else from this author.
About The AuthorCHANDLER KLANG SMITH is a fiction writer from Springfield, Illinois. She graduated from Bennington College and has an MFA from Columbia University. She currently lives in New York City.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...