Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Review: The Hard Way by Julie Luongo


Ten years ago, Cayce took me to Books a Million after just moving out of our apartment and I just needed a day out of the house with our little baby Samantha. I picked up this book and a couple of others that I have already read and this one was the one that I have been eyeballing and wanting to pick up so many times, because I felt bad. Cayce didn't even remember buying it for me when I told him I was finally going to read it, which in turn made me think that I wasted years wanting to read it. But I actually liked it. It made me giggle and I am glad that I have finally read it, even though the cover makes no sense and this is the only book that the author Julie Luongo has ever written.

This whole book is about a woman named Lucy. We follow her life as she tries to figure out who she is as a person. We see her meet a guy and get engaged. We find out that she was painted in the nude at 14 years old by a guy who her parents were basically taking care of. We meet three different boyfriends who were not the best. One cut her brake line on her car. One talked about his everyday bowl movements and a high school senior wanted to have a relationship with her. She finally bonds with her older sister who she never got along with because of the 19 year age gap. Then the ending is wrapped up in a nice little bow.

I liked the story. It made me cringe. It made me giggle. I face palmed a couple times. I was grossed out. I was angry with the parents. I was annoyed with Lucy not committing to anything. I didn't have a problem with the timeline because honestly who wants to read the boring bits between eventful times in one's life that helps mold them into the person they become for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...