After reading The Martian and loving it, I have had Andy Weir on my radar and when this came out years ago, I was hyped. And then, I started hearing reviews on YouTube and the reviews were not great. The main issue seemed to be that Andy Weir was unable to write a female main character and I have to agree. There were multiple times when I had to remind myself that Jazz was in fact female. I was also very annoyed when Jazz would talk "at" the reader like " did you know this, no you didn't, it goes like this". It was very sexist as well. The age of Jazz is also not talked about. It is more like a guessing game. Ar first I thought she was 12, then 16 and then we find out her true age which is 26. The one thing I did enjoy was reading the science part and it was a very fast paced read. I didn't finish it quickly though because even it was fast, I wanted to take my time and think about what I read.
This book is about a Saudi Arabian woman named Jazz who loves on the moon city Artemis. She is a porter and a known smuggler. She is wanting to get rich quick and have her own place and not her storage closet home that she calls a coffin. She gets an offer from a billionaire that wants to sabotage a company on Artemis that deals with oxygen. She does the job and gets caught and then she has to run for her life as she is the next to be murdered.
I give this four because the world building and the laws and everything about Artemis was simply amazing. I just didn't like the characters or there attitudes.

No comments:
Post a Comment