Going into this book, I knew that it was a travel story. What I didn't know was that the author was going to go into the histories of each place he visited. He set off on this journey in 1995. He decided to travel all of Britain on foot or by train. He is embarking on this journey because he and his family are moving back to America and he wants to take it all in. He goes to many different villages and cities and he stays a day or two in each. He has a deadline of traveling Britain in seven weeks. He talks a lot about how each village and city are the same. How the modern buildings are going up and making towns ugly. He goes into detail of how his hotel rooms are and how shoddy or immaculate they are. He uses the word prosperous many times and you can tell that it is one of the cities or villages he likes.
This took me 5 days to read this and I was so close to DNFing it so many times. I was so bored. I didn't care how many times he had to go around in circle to just get from here to there. I was annoyed with his sexism and misogyny. I hated how he yelled at the McDonald's worker who asked him if he wanted an apple turnover when he could have just said no thank you. He criticizes almost every where he goes and then at the end, he goes I love this country. What do you love about it, being able to talk shit.
I did get a couple of laughs and I did find some of the chapters enjoyable hence why the three out of five stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment