Monday, February 15, 2021

Review: Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann


 

Another book checked off of my A-Z global nonfiction reading challenge. This book was set in Oklahoma, so not international to me. I went into this book completely blind other than reading the sub title on the cover. I was intrigued of how the FBI was formed and I remember watching bits and pieces of the movie J. Edgar with Leonardo DiCaprio. Funnily enough, this book is being adapted and Leo DiCaprio is playing one of the murderers. 

I really liked reading this because it was read like a story. It was not boring and the facts were given in conversations. This story is about the Osage Native Americans who were relocated to Oklahoma. The land that they had to settle on was on top of a big oil reserve. They were millionaires and the U.S. Government didn't find them competent enough to spend the money wisely, so they were assigned guardians who were over the money. These guardians would refuse to give the Osage their money to pay bills, buy food and receive medical care. They were also charged more then White people. 

The story follows the Osage tribe as they are living through the reign of terror. The reign of terror lasted years and it was murders of Osage Native Americans to steal their birthright to the oil money. Particularly the Osage that married Whites. 

This story was saddening because most of the murders are still unsolved and that is the confirmed murders. There are hundreds of Osage that died and were not investigated and still unknown to this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...