When I put this book on my library holds list, I had read the synopsis and was very intrigued about this modern fairy tale. I then forgot all about it and when Cayce brought it home, I didn't remember it. I then kept putting off reading it until the very last minute until I have to return it in a few days and I LOVED this book. It is creepy, thrilling, suspenseful, and disgusting.
We follow a man named Apollo whose father left when he was a boy. Apollo grows up with reoccurring nightmares about his father and water and a mist. He also has a possession of his father's. A children's book about goblins and witches. He then recites the story to his own son. Apollo meets his wife Emma at a library and they eventually get married when she comes back from her trip to Brazil. She gets pregnant and when she goes into labor, they are stuck on a broken down subway. They have a little boy who they name after Apollo's absent father.
Months into new parent hood are taking a toll on the parents. Apollo is uploading millions of pictures of Brian to his facebook and looking out for rare books to flip and sell at outrageous prices. Emma is suffering from severe post partum depression and one day Apollo wakes up chained to the steam pipe by the neck and Emma has killed Baby Brian because he is not her baby.
Apollo then goes to Rikers Island for holding Emma's co workers hostage because he believes they know where she is hiding. Enter a man who eventually will be the reason for everything.
I was gripped from the very first chapter about Apollo's parents and his mothers childhood in Uganda. I freaked out when Apollo was told that his constant uploading on his Facebook was bread crumbs to his child and I immediately wanted to deactivate my Facebook and Instagram. The killing and the eating of the sheeps head was behind disgusting.
I believe that Victor Lavalle could be today's Brothers Grimm because this modern fairy tale blends fantasy and todays social media into a majestic horror.

No comments:
Post a Comment