I have had my eye on this book ever since I saw the movie trailer and I have had it on my TBR for 6 years. I picked it up on a whim and then while I was filling out my prompts for the August Readathin Bingo Board, it fit my zodiac recommendation.
The only thing I knew about this book before I started reading was that it had a tiger in a lifeboat.
Piscine AKA Pi is our main character and his family runs the zoo. His father is the owner and when things start to change with the Indian government, they close down the zoo and sell off the animals. They board a Japanese cargo ship bound for the US and they are going to head to Canada and live there. Some of the animals are also on the way that had been sold to some US zoos and the Toronto Zoo.
One day the ship sinks and Pi is the only human survivor and is drifting in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra and of course a tiger named Richard Parker. The time that Pi is on the lifeboat is one of wonder and unbelievable adventures. The fishing he does for the dorado and feeding Richard Parker. The hyena killing the zebra and the orangutan and ultimately the tiger killing the hyena. The part where I was most shocked was of the carnivorous island with the meerkats, and the algae was acidic at night. I wonder how Pi did not die from consuming the algae.
I was heartbroken for him when he finally reached land and I kept being upset for how Pi treated Richard Parker and scared of what the tiger would do. I felt for Pi when Richard Parker bounded off into the jungle with no "goodbye".
I can't wait to watch the movie.

No comments:
Post a Comment