Friday, September 24, 2021

Review: Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao

 

Thanks to NetGalley for sending me the E-ARC of this amazing book. Going into this, I had not read the synopsis, but I ended up reading the first bit where it says Pacific Rim meets The Handmaid's Tale. I am a big fan of The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. I was ok with the book, but the show is where it's at. I was eager to start reading and see if this did have the same aspects of The Handmaid's Tale and this book did not disappoint. I was hooked from the prologue. Now the Pacific Rim reference I didn't understand because I had never seen the movie. So I ended up getting the movie from my library and watching it with my husband and it was amazing. I understood the machines and the fighting and the mind connections so much more. But I did get a little upset because I started thinking that this book would have made a way better movie than Pacific Rim even though it came out years ago and that made me realize that if this book ever did get picked up, then it would not be a true to story adaptation because it is Pacific Rim on paper. 

I started reading this book at the beginning of September and I finished it on the 21st. The day it came out in stores. I was reading the ending and promptly freaking the fuck out over all of the fighting and betrayal and the kick ass-ery and the big reveal, that my husband started searching our local Books-a-Million to see if they had it still in stock and what the price is. He rarely does that and when he does, it is for a book that I am truly engrossed in. Zetian had my heart from the very beginning along with every concubine pilot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...