Monday, November 7, 2022

Review: A Dowry of Blood by S.T. Gibson


 My library finally got in several copies of this and I requested it immediately to read before Halloween. I have always been fascinated with Dracula and the story. I read Dracula a couple years ago and was disappointed in how it was boring and a big drag. When this first started getting hyped on Booktube and that it was from one os Dracula's wives, I was immediaitely intrigued. That was the only thing I knew about it going in, until the day before I started reading it. I was watching Kayla from Booksandlala and she was talking about this and said it was a letter format, so that told me it would be 2nd person.

I went into this with that information and there were a few times where I got confused because when Constanta would be talking to her master who is Dracula. He is never named except my lord and master. He saves her from dying and tells her falsehoods that she is the first of his brides and that he is the most powerful and she will not have strength like him. They move around Europe until eventually he brings in another consort, who becomes rival and lover to Constanta. 

There is alot of sexual content in this and mental health issues. Magdalena is constantly in a state of depression that just gets worse and worse. Constanta is not wanting to push the boundaries but after hundreds of years of opression, it gets to be too much.

Sadly, I did not get the horror element that I was looking for. The gore of course constitutes a horror label but it was just not scary for me. I didn't get grossed out or have a jump scare or a creepy cold chill while reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...