Growing up, I used to watch this movie adaptation every time I went to my grandma's house. It was our movie. We loved saying that the secret was in the sauce and saying TOWANDA!!!! I got this book back in 2021, which is weird to say now, but anyways I read it in December of 2022 and I was expecting it to be so different from the movie. I am glad to say that this was 5 stars. The movie changed some things, but it is a true adaptation.
The movie of course had to change the story telling time line. In the book we meet Smokey Lonesome in the very beginning and Ruth dies before we even read about the murder trial of Frank Bennett. The telling of events in the book actually make sense and I love that we got POV's from other characters not just Idgie and Ruth but Grady, Sipsey, Big George and Buddy and Eva.
This book is told in dual timelines where we read about the Threadgoode's in the 20's-30's. The second timeline is in the 80's when Evelyn Couch and her husband Ed go to the old folks home to visit his mother and that is where Ninny Threadgoode is stayng with Mrs Otis.
Watching the movie as a child and even as an adult before reading this, I always assumed that Ninny was Idgie, but this book clearly makes Ninny a sister in law to Idgie and I love the LGBT themes in this. Idgie and Ruth clearly loved one another and the small town of Whistle Stop knew and didn't even blink an eye or show any hate or discrimination towards these two women. Now Whistle Stop is a little podunk railroad town in Alabama.
I am so happy that I read this. I did have a few problems with the constant use of the N word used, and I wonder if the sequel that was just released will have omitted the use of the word altogether.

No comments:
Post a Comment