Going into this I had heard from everyone and their mama that I would be crying and not want to pick up another book because reading would be ruined. Well, I call bullshit. I ended up giving this a 3 out of 5 stars and before you go calling me heartless and not caring about Jude.... I do, but I will call you an enabler and hope that if you have someone like him in your life that you will go against there wishes and actually get that person professional help.
TRIGGER WARNINGS: cutting, sexual assualt, rape, mental neglect, abandonment, eating disorders, SUICIDE!, physical abuse, prostitution.
Jude was just made to have every bad thing in the world happen to him. He is always cutting himself and refusing help. He loves his friends but he refuses to tell them anything. I did tear up when he was forced into prostitution but what got me crying was when his partner and best friend Willem died in a car accident. I have a fear of driving and I am always scared when my husband drives on really busy roads. How Jude lives after Willems death, I would probably be the exact same.
I was angry at every character that knew of his cutting throughout the book especially Willem and his doctor Andy. Andy was a medical professional who did not stay true to ethics and get his patient actual true help after Jude's first suicide attempt. I place the blame of Jude's death on Harold, Julia, JB, Andy, Willem, Malcolm and Richard. All of them had the years to get Jude professional help and they enabled him and were cowards because they were scared of losing a friendship... yet they lost a friend instead.
I got to the end with Jude's second suicide attept that this time was successful and I really thought, did I just read a book that the author just word vomited every bad thing and then end it likes this.

No comments:
Post a Comment