I usually don't review books that I read outloud to my kids, but this one is an exception. My kids and I have been getting more into our Scottish ancestry and heritage and my oldest daughter's favorite movie is Brave. She relates to Merida so much because we butt heads all the time. I just hope one day she doesn't curse me to turn into a bear...lol. Anyways, she begged me to get this book from the library and make it a read aloud, so I did.
This takes place after the events of the movie because it is referenced multiple times. Merida has just come back home to DunBroch from traveling the world. Her triplet brothers are growing up and she has a new "sister" named Leezie who is getting ready for a Christmas wedding. Leezie is one of the housekeepers who lost her parents but she doesn't really clean or do anything that a servant is supposed to do and no one really cares.
One night Merida hears a knock on the kitchen door and she follows this man and finds out it is the God of Ruin, Feradach and he has come to destroy DunBroch because it is not changing for the better. Merida decides to make a bargain with Feradach and the Callieach who is the Goddess of Growth agrees to the bargain and gives Merida a year to change DunBroch and her family for the better.
A month or two ago I started Duolingo again and started a Gaelic course. Gaelic is a Scottish language and sadly it is dying. The names of the villages and people was very fun to say and my daughters got so much enjoyment out of hearing me say it with the accent.
Sadly this book was not a 5 out of 5 stars for me because the ending was just rushed and didn't end the way it should have. Merida wanted Feradach to ruin her because she didn't change but she did because she fell in love with him. I wanted her to be with Feradach.
Also the cliffhanger with the knock at the end just broke me. I want a sequel. I want a freaking continuation. I don't want to come up with my own conclusion like so many authors say when they end their books on cliffhangers. That's just a cop out and lazy writing.

No comments:
Post a Comment