Thursday, June 6, 2024

Review: Daughter by Kate McLaughlin

 


I am so behind on my Netgalley reads. My approval rating is so atrocious and I got this copy from the read shelf in 2021. I need to buckle down on all of the books on my to read shelf. I gave this a three star rating. At first, I was really enjoying this because thrillers go by really fast for me because I can't put the damn thing down. That was the case for me, but we follow a high school student who is so into boys and partying and smoking pot. She is annoyed with her mom because her mom is paranoid and won't let her do anything or go anywhere.

One day, Scarlet is on her way home from school with a friend and they chill at the house while smoking more pot and then an FBI agent knocks on the door and asks to speak with her. He tells her that she is the daughter of a man kown as the Gentleman killer. Her whole past comes out and her mom reveals everything. 

Scarlet's dad is requesting to see her on his death bed because he is dying of pancreatic cancer and he will only reveal the names of the rest of his victims to her. This book is one massive party, serial killer meeting with dear old dad and hanging with friends while trying to stay away from paparazzi and crazed fans and angry and grievinf family/friends.

There was a point where I actually thought that the dad had been framed and that the FBI agent was the true killer, but the dad was just gross. He would play with Scarlet and her mind with every meeting. He would see himself in her with every snappy comeback or string of cusswords she threw at him. He was a really sick individual because he was into necrophilia and that was mentioned constantly. He named his daughter after his first victim which is more disturbing.

The ending was beyond fucked up and it still left me with questions. And it also lost another star because the ending just was not satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...